Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Trolling Motor
Minn Kota’s Riptide Terrova electric trolling motor is one of the hottest “must have” accessories for a variety of saltwater angling scenarios. The reasons are many, so let’s take a deeper dive into this product’s multifaceted capabilities.
Size, Power & Thrust
Some of the keys to the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova’s popularity with the coastal cognoscenti can be broken down into a trio of features; size, power and thrust. Size is loosely defined as a tool that’s large enough to fit a variety of applications. With shaft lengths of 54, 60, 72 and 87-inches, the Riptide Terrova checks off this feature in a big way, no matter what boat you drive, up to roughly 30-feet in length. The “power” factor of the Terrova comes from its 36-volt (3 x 12-volt battery) setup. This salty girl can really dig deep and keep you hovering over a productive wreck, reef or rip when other boats are sliding by with minimal time in the strike zone. Thrust is a by-product of the 36-volt power setup and she’s got plenty of that, with 112-pound of spot-holding or mass-moving control.
Apples vs. Oranges
Historically, the ability to keep your boat over a productive fish-catching location (without anchoring) was limited to sticking your bow into the wind/seas, which makes it easier to steer and hold a course. But if the wind or current is running off your quarter or beam, this will be a frustrating experience and you’ll drift off sideways from your target. Most of the major outboard manufacturers offer a proprietary joystick piloting feature that will keep you in place, once you save a GPS position and instruct it to hold that spot (Mercury Skyhook digital anchor; Yamaha Helm Master; SeaStar Optimus 360). This option however may be cost prohibitive. The electronic joystick controller works with your onboard GPS to operate the engines independently, shifting gears, adding throttle and steering them in different directions to get this done.
Minn Kota’s Terrova electric trolling motor with Spot-Lock might be an excellent aftermarket or new boat alternative for controlling your craft. The Terrova is a real game changer or force-multiplier in the wreck fishing game. The term “trolling motor” when applied to the Minn Kota Terrova Riptide is a bit of a misnomer. You can use it in the classic sense as a straight-up electric trolling motor, but this special tool does considerably more.
When drifting near a wreck in moving water, the Terrova can help slow things down by providing just the right amount of reverse thrust to achieve and maintain that “perfect” drift speed to get consistent bites. If groundfish or tuna are holding around a specific piece of bottom, you can “Spot-Lock” your boat at the touch of a button to employ the invisible anchor feature and keep it right where you want it. Should the fish move around during different stages of the day, the Jog feature with enable you to slide your vessel in five-foot increments north, south, east or west. When you are drift fishing for sharks and the wind drops out, drafting the Terrova into service can extend your chum slick for miles and make your dead baits come to life with the touch of a button. When compared to the aforementioned multi-outboard joystick systems, the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova is a much more affordable option that’s a fraction of the cost. Plus it’s really the only viable option for micro-control of single engine vessels.
Some of the game changing features on the Terrova include the following:
- i-Pilot Link Integrated GPS Trolling System: i-Pilot Link gives you unprecedented control over your boat by linking your trolling motor to your Humminbird fish finder.
- Spot-Lock with Jog: Spot-Lock will hold you in place with unparalleled GPS accuracy. Available on i-Pilot GPS system that is pre-installed, Spot-Lock gives you the power to stay right on top of any productive fishing spot, without touching your trolling motor. With the included heading sensor, you can use Jog to move your Spot-Lock location five feet in any direction. Activate Spot-Lock from the i-Pilot remote or Humminbird fish finder.
- AutoPilot: Automatically navigate your boat in any direction you choose. Just point the head of your trolling motor in the direction you want to travel, activate AutoPilot, and your trolling motor will keep you on that heading automatically, even correcting for wind, waves and current.
- Push-to-Test Battery Meter: Press a button to get an instant “stage of charge” reading.
- Advanced Corrosion Protection: Riptide motor lower unit housings are grit-blasted, then coated in aluminum to prevent oxidization and rust. Then, a final layer of powder coat paint provides the ultimate protection.
- Digital Maximizer: Provides up to five times longer run time on a single battery charge. The variable speed trolling motor lets you dial in your exact speed, delivering only as much power as you need, helping to conserve your battery bank for a full day of fishing.
- Weedless Wedge 2 Prop: features swept-back flared blades to power through anything without battery-draining chopping and hacking.
- Indestructible Composite Shaft: At the core of the Minn Kota trolling motor is an indestructible composite shaft that’s guaranteed for life.
- Mobile App Compatibility: Control i-Pilot directly from your Apple or Android device with the mobile app. You get quick command of speed, steering, Spot-Lock and Advanced AutoPilot, plus the ability to update i-Pilot software.
For more information on the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova, visit https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com